Summers are synonymous with scorching heat and soaring temperatures. We are already hitting a savage 41°C (105.8°F). Keeping the kids cool and well-hydrated in this terrible weather becomes essential. Especially when we factor in the lack of appetite accompanied by the terrible heat. Whether the kids brave the weather and play outdoors or prefer the cool indoors, it is important to keep up their fluid intake.
Make summers fun with drinks for kids to beat the heat and the sweltering, mercury-busting temperatures with home-made healthy drinks.
Sharing with you all my top 5 favorites, easy to make, loved by kids “drinks”:
**These drinks are recommended for toddlers and kids. Some fruits are a strict no=no for children under one. SO be sure to check with your pediatrician before trying.
- Lemonade – Nothing beats the good old lemonade. It is called the official drink for summers for a reason. Not just refreshing but also nutritious. You can add a twist to it by adding different ingredients to it like:
- Edible lavender
- Smoothies – Be it breakfast, snack or dessert, smoothies not only keep you hydrated but is also filling.
- Banana Smoothie – Easiest and toddler approved. Add diced banana and milk (you can use soy milk too) to a blender. Blend until the ingredients are combined and smooth. And tada..! Its ready to be served. Depending on your child’s taste buds, you can add your choice of sprinkles. To make variations of this smoothie, simply replace the fruit with another.
- Mango smoothie
- Strawberry + raspberry Smoothie
- Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- Aam Panna – Kids love mango and what better way to enjoy summers than home made aam panna. This recipe requires raw mangoes, which need to be pressure cooked. Once done, let them cool, peel them well and remove the pulp. Mix pulp with a little sugar and salt. Ass a dash of little cumin seed powder and blend the mixture in a blender. Kids will love its tangy, sweet-salty taste. You can substitute honey instead of regular sugar to make it extra healthy.
- Juices – I am not in favour of packaged drinks, no matter what the brands claim. And I do not trust the local vendors to use hygienic ways of serving the drink. I prefer extracting the juice at home with a manual juicer or a food processor. Our favourites are:
- Watermelon juice – Best thirst quencher
- Pomegranate juice – loaded with anti-oxidants
- Orange juice – daily dose of Vitamin C!
- Lassi – Rey is a curd lover! So i had been looking for a recipe that I could prepare for him. I came across this simple yet awesome recipe. https://gkfooddiary.com/plain-lassi-for-babies/All it takes is 5 minutes and best served fresh!
- Coconut water / Nariyal Paani – Yes, I know I said 5, but I just couldn’t leave this one out! Nariyal paani or coconut water is low in calories, delicious to boot and perhaps the healthiest natural drink you can indulge in on a hot, scorching summer day. It is our go-to-drink when we are traveling within the city. Even better than bottled water. To read of the many benefits of this refreshing natural drink, click here
Do you have any toddler-approved, favourite summer drinks?